Monday, February 20, 2012

Getting away - taking a step back

Sometimes, the fastest way to where you are going is NOT a straight line.
The experience here is so different from whatever I've done before, and intense on so many levels, that it leads to a deep journey within, challenging priorities, assumptions, values... sometimes inspiring, sometimes leaving me low and exhausted, not being fully there and fully functionning. End of January was time to take a step back

Aurelia and I decided on a whim to head to Udaipur, its beautiful lake and palaces for a couple of days: we enjoyed a boat tour, the rooftop terraces, our endless chats, and the German bakery :)


Album: Udaipur

Next, I spent a day at Sughad on Jayeshbhai's suggestion: Pavitra Mehta and Suchitra Shenoy were touring India to introduce 'Infinite Vision', the amazing and inspiring story of Dr V and the Aravind eye hospital. Hearing stories on service and helping the underprivileged was also a way to reflect on my own purpose here. You can see a documentary on this story, also directed by Pavi.

Mukeshbhai asked volunteers to join him in Nadiad on his temple festival - after begging so much to spend time with him, I couldn't say no and jumped on a bus to Nadiad; I found myself serving food and offering prasad (in the shape of rose petals) to the 100,000 or so devotees visiting the temple on that day. I also got a chance to sit in meditation with Mukeshbhai - shanti...

Last weekend, Jayeshbhai took all the volunteers on a tour in North Gujarat: we visited the Lokniketan centre, which educates thousands of rural children in the tribal area, and surrounding villages. We got a glimpse of houses made of mud and cow dung, buffaloes grazing, and tasted the best cucumber ever, when this old women offered us some rest on her porch, and of the lives of people there, where children can walk a couple of hours a day to get to school and back.


Album: getting away

These various short trips really helped me: I felt I could be back at Manav Sadhna with a more relaxed and focused mind and a more open heart. Note to self: take time away when required!

1 comment:

  1. Tes photos sont vraiment top, je les trouve de plus en plus belles
    bécots

    ReplyDelete