All the details of what I've been doing in the last few weeks and the pictures!
In Manali, Dave and I stayed at Amar Family Guesthouse, actually in Vashisht. Vashisht is really pretty and cute, but a bit overwhelmed by the traffic of tourists coming up to see the temple.
I had a wonderful grilled trout and glass of white wine at Johnson Lodge, as a birthday pre-celebration...
After an 18h bus ride, I reached Rekong Peo, where I needed to get an inner line permit to get into the Spiti Valley, and first met Ian, Sev and Leah. I stayed in Kalpa, a beautiful little village surrounded by apple tree orchards. That would be the most green I would see for almost 2 weeks!
Back on the bus, for only 8h but a pretty scary road and amazing side, I met up with Sev and Ian. We then simply followed the Spiti valley northwards, visiting Gompas (Buddhist temples) in this largely Buddhist region and walking around/trekking where we could. Each village was incredible for their unique location and surroundings, always mountains but always so different... Nako and Tabo, the first villages we got to, were really beautiful.
Dhankar simply blew our mind away for the way it is hanging from this rugged and steep mountain. There we stayed in the comfy homestay run by Anil, who also organised our 5 day trek and guided us there. We walked from Dhankar to Lalung to Demul to Komik to Langza to Kaza; with the support of Tanzin and of a donkey and her baby, re-named respectively Dil and Prem :)
In each of these villages we stayed also in a homestay, cozying up in the family kitchen near the stove, eating local comforting food, and playing cards with Anil! We got used to the irregular bucket showers, the dry toilets (happily contributing to fertilizing the fields :) ), and the nurishing Dahl Bhat (rice and lentils), but we were quite happy to reach Kaza, and, when the power came back on, to jump in a hot shower, wash some clothes, use the internet, eat nuttella croissant at the german bakery...
Our next target is Leh. Ian and I opted for the uncomfortable and long bus ride back to Manali - 3 days that felt like "groundhog day" to me - but what a pleasure to find this cute little guesthouse in Old Manali, and have dinner again at Johnson Lodge, this time with Caroline (MS volunteer) and Ian! So lovely also to catch up with Caroline after 2 months away from Manav Sadhna!
| Album: Spiti Valley |
In Manali, Dave and I stayed at Amar Family Guesthouse, actually in Vashisht. Vashisht is really pretty and cute, but a bit overwhelmed by the traffic of tourists coming up to see the temple.
I had a wonderful grilled trout and glass of white wine at Johnson Lodge, as a birthday pre-celebration...
After an 18h bus ride, I reached Rekong Peo, where I needed to get an inner line permit to get into the Spiti Valley, and first met Ian, Sev and Leah. I stayed in Kalpa, a beautiful little village surrounded by apple tree orchards. That would be the most green I would see for almost 2 weeks!
Back on the bus, for only 8h but a pretty scary road and amazing side, I met up with Sev and Ian. We then simply followed the Spiti valley northwards, visiting Gompas (Buddhist temples) in this largely Buddhist region and walking around/trekking where we could. Each village was incredible for their unique location and surroundings, always mountains but always so different... Nako and Tabo, the first villages we got to, were really beautiful.
Dhankar simply blew our mind away for the way it is hanging from this rugged and steep mountain. There we stayed in the comfy homestay run by Anil, who also organised our 5 day trek and guided us there. We walked from Dhankar to Lalung to Demul to Komik to Langza to Kaza; with the support of Tanzin and of a donkey and her baby, re-named respectively Dil and Prem :)
In each of these villages we stayed also in a homestay, cozying up in the family kitchen near the stove, eating local comforting food, and playing cards with Anil! We got used to the irregular bucket showers, the dry toilets (happily contributing to fertilizing the fields :) ), and the nurishing Dahl Bhat (rice and lentils), but we were quite happy to reach Kaza, and, when the power came back on, to jump in a hot shower, wash some clothes, use the internet, eat nuttella croissant at the german bakery...
Our next target is Leh. Ian and I opted for the uncomfortable and long bus ride back to Manali - 3 days that felt like "groundhog day" to me - but what a pleasure to find this cute little guesthouse in Old Manali, and have dinner again at Johnson Lodge, this time with Caroline (MS volunteer) and Ian! So lovely also to catch up with Caroline after 2 months away from Manav Sadhna!

Superbe! Merci Caro pour l'invitation au voyage avec toi!!! Mille bisous
ReplyDelete