![]() |
| India 2010 - part 5 |
As you can see from the map of the previous post, from Hampi, I went on to Mysore, where I stayed 2 days.
Pennywise and pound foolish
I've always loved that phrase and really applied to its best there: I stayed in a really nice hotel, with swimming pool, A/C etc and then got in a row over half a roupie that the cloakroom guy wouldn't give me back. I also walked a block to get my Rs 10 coconut, because Rs 20 really is a rip-off... only to pay Rs 80 for chai at a hotel/palace!!
Anyway, Mysore has a nice center, with an Indian/art deco maharadjah palace and a beautiful market for vegetable, flowers, spiced - so I really enjoyed those quiet 2 days...
On Friday 12th, 5pm, Mariette and I agreed to head to Rishikesh that same night.
The main reason for our hesitation was the Kumba Mela that is taking place in Haridwar currently. It draws millions of Hindu with its many auspicious dates for bathing in the Ganges and as it is on the way to Rishikesh, we didn't know if we'd be able to get through. Well, getting to Rishikesh was fine. For Mariette to get back to Delhi the night before one of the most auspicious days is another story... that she will tell in her blog shortly!
We enjoyed fruit juices on the riverside and white water rafting during that weekend, and then Mariette left as she had to get back to work. I was able to attend really nice yoga classes at my hotel and found someone who held 1h meditation session every morning. It felt as if many sensations were coming together at the end of those 3 months. Accross the town of Rishikesh, I was touched by all the pilgrims who travel such a long way, in difficult conditions, who sleep on the side of the river Ganga, to be able to bathe there at the right time.
Philippe became my travel buddy to get to Haridwar, as we were not sure what we'd find and it's nicer to be with someone when things get rough. Anyway, it ended up being a very nice and relaxing day as not that many people were there. We watched the pilgrims, the Naga Babas (naked holy men or not so holy), the swamis, the river go by. The day finished with the climatic aarti - when fire is shown to the gods and then to the devotees for purification, along with chanting. As most of the devotees, we deposited some flowers with a light on the river. I was really moved when depositing my little basket on mother Ganga: each light goes their own little way, some flipping over quite soon, others traveling quite a bit - so it doesn't matter if one's own doesn't go far. I felt like the power of this ritual was that Ganga slowly turns into this river of light and hope and this makes each individual prayer/wish possible.
Eventually, it was time to go back to Delhi, to enjoy a girls weekend with my cousin sister Mariette, staying at her very homey flat...
We did some yoga, some shopping, some pedicures, some nice wining and dining - who can ask for more?
As today is my last day, I went for a marathon of visits:
- Humayun's tomb at 9 am - what an amazing site. it is so grandiose and simple and peaceful. I simply loved that place and could have stayed hours in the shade of a tree there
- Purana Qila at 10:30 am - another very peaceful site, very green
- National Museum at 12 - many reminders of the rest of my trip + I realise I make more sense now of all the various deities, who is the avatar of whom, etc, so it was really fun to walk through those regions and centuries. (+ the museum has A/C :) )


No comments:
Post a Comment